Main Article Content
Spindle cell carcinoma, Breast cancer, Jordan, Breast pathology
Background: Spindle cell carcinoma (SpCC) is an unusual form of squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) and can sometimes present in the breast. Owing to the rarity of breast SpCC, few case studies are available nowadays and proper evidence is scarce.
Case presentation: We herein report a 60-year-old female patient, who was referred to the surgery services after presenting with a right breast ulcerated mass. On physical examination, a 7x7 cm mass was found along with a 3 cm ulcer on the top of it. Both mammography and ultrasound showed a dense mass, and tru-cut and skin punch biopsies confirmed neoplastic spindle cells within the lesion. The patient underwent a right total mastectomy with sentinel lymph node biopsies with no further chemotherapy or radiotherapy.
Conclusion: Owing to the heterogeneity of SpCC, there is no exact treatment protocol for this type of cancer, and mastectomy or conservative surgery can be performed in certain groups of patients depending on tumor size, stage, and lymph node involvement. Fortunately, promising medical and biological therapies might be of use in the near future.
2. Wei S, Hameed O. Spindle-cell lesions of the breast with emphasis on the differential diagnosis. The Open Breast Cancer Journal. 2010;2(1).
3. Maemura M, Iino Y, Oyama T, Hikino T, Yokoe T, et al. Spindle cell carcinoma of the breast. Jpn J Clin Oncol. 1997;27(1):46-50.
4. Khan HN, Wyld L, Dunne B, Lee AH, Pinder SE, et al. Spindle cell carcinoma of the breast: a case series of a rare histological subtype. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2003;29(7):600-3.
5. Mercado CL. BI-RADS update. Radiol Clin North Am. 2014;52(3):481-7.
6. Okushiba S, Minagawa H, Shimizu M, Ambo Y, Kaji M, et al. A case of spindle cell carcinoma of the breast--long survival achieved by multiple surgical treatment. Breast Cancer. 2001;8(3):238-42.
7. Tse GM, Tan PH, Lui PC, Putti TC. Spindle cell lesions of the breast--the pathologic differential diagnosis. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2008;109(2):199-207.
8. Alaoui M'hamdi H, Abbad F, Rais H, Asmouki H, Soumani A, et al. Rare variant of metaplastic carcinoma of the breast: a case report and review of the literature. J Med Case Rep. 2018;12(1):43.
9. Gobbi H, Simpson JF, Borowsky A, Jensen RA, Page DL. Metaplastic breast tumors with a dominant fibromatosis-like phenotype have a high risk of local recurrence. Cancer. 1999;85(10):2170-82.
10. Carter MR, Hornick JL, Lester S, Fletcher CD. Spindle cell (sarcomatoid) carcinoma of the breast: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical analysis of 29 cases. Am J Surg Pathol. 2006;30(3):300-9.
11. Bauer TW, Rostock RA, Eggleston JC, Baral E. Spindle cell carcinoma of the breast: four cases and review of the literature. Hum Pathol. 1984;15(2):147-52.
12. Song Y, Liu X, Zhang G, Song H, Ren Y, et al. Unique clinicopathological features of metaplastic breast carcinoma compared with invasive ductal carcinoma and poor prognostic indicators. World J Surg Oncol. 2013;11:129.
13. Zhang Y, Lv F, Yang Y, Qian X, Lang R, et al. Clinicopathological Features and Prognosis of Metaplastic Breast Carcinoma: Experience of a Major Chinese Cancer Center. PLoS One. 2015;10(6):e0131409.
14. Podetta M, D'Ambrosio G, Ferrari A, Sgarella A, Dal Bello B, et al. Low-grade fibromatosis-like spindle cell metaplastic carcinoma: a basal-like tumor with a favorable clinical outcome. Report of two cases. Tumori. 2009;95(2):264-7.
15. Murphy BL, Fazzio RT, Hoskin TL, Glazebrook KN, Keeney MG, et al. Management of the axilla in metaplastic breast carcinoma. Gland Surg. 2018;7(2):200-6.
16. Moten AS, Jayarajan SN, Willis AI. Spindle cell carcinoma of the breast: a comprehensive analysis. Am J Surg. 2016;211(4):716-21.
17. Shah DR, Tseng WH, Martinez SR. Treatment options for metaplastic breast cancer. ISRN Oncol. 2012;2012:706162.
18. Vranic S, Stafford P, Palazzo J, Skenderi F, Swensen J, et al. Molecular Profiling of the Metaplastic Spindle Cell Carcinoma of the Breast Reveals Potentially Targetable Biomarkers. Clin Breast Cancer. 2020;20(4):326-31.e1.
19. Kitada M, Hayashi S, Matsuda Y, Ishibashi K, Oikawa K, et al. Spindle cell carcinoma of the breast as complex cystic lesion: a case report. Cancer Biol Med. 2014;11(2):130-3.
20. Pandey M, Mathew A, Abraham EK, Rajan B. Primary sarcoma of the breast. J Surg Oncol. 2004;87(3):121-5.
21. Chen IC, Lin CH, Huang CS, Lien HC, Hsu C, et al. Lack of efficacy to systemic chemotherapy for treatment of metaplastic carcinoma of the breast in the modern era. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011;130(1):345-51.
22. Schwartz TL, Mogal H, Papageorgiou C, Veerapong J, Hsueh EC. Metaplastic breast cancer: histologic characteristics, prognostic factors and systemic treatment strategies. Exp Hematol Oncol. 2013;2(1):31.
23. Zhou N, Liu C, Hou H, Zhang C, Liu D, et al. Response to apatinib in chemotherapy-failed advanced spindle cell breast carcinoma. Oncotarget. 2016;7(44):72373-9.
24. Wahba HA, El-Hadaad HA. Current approaches in treatment of triple-negative breast cancer. Cancer Biol Med. 2015;12(2):106-16.
25. Tseng WH, Martinez SR. Metaplastic breast cancer: to radiate or not to radiate? Ann Surg Oncol. 2011;18(1):94-103.
Article Statistics :Views : 342 | Downloads : 238 : 60