Main Article Content
Breast Cancer, Recurrence, Metastasis, Survival
Methods: This is a retrospective cohort study to describe survival of patients after diagnosis of breast cancer based on receptor subtypes and sites of metastasis among Iranian population. A total number of 2051 females with breast cancer were evaluated and among these, 138 patients with recurrent BC were investigated.
Results: The 1-year survival of local, bone, visceral and brain metastasis were 64.99%, 63%, 32.83%, and 21.57%, respectively. Based on sites of metastasis, bone and local metastasis showed the best survival while brain and visceral metastasis had the worst survival and prognosis.
Conclusion: Our study showed that Her2 enriched positive BCs had the worst survival, this may be due to Trastuzumab uncovered insurance till 10 years ago in our country. Also, drugs related to luminal A and B which are used to improve their survival and hormonal therapy could be associated with their better prognosis in comparison to triple negative receptor subtype. But this study showed that triple negative BC had better survival.
1. Warner E. Clinical practice. Breast-cancer screening. N Engl J Med. 2011;365(11):1025-32.
2. Rococo E, Mazouni C, Or Z, Mobillion V, Koon Sun Pat M, Bonastre J. Variation in rates of breast cancer surgery: A national analysis based on French Hospital Episode Statistics. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2016;42(1):51-8.
3. Nagini S. Breast Cancer: Current Molecular Therapeutic Targets and New Players. Anticancer Agents Med Chem. 2017;17(2):152-63.
4. Mahdavifar N, Ghoncheh M, Mohammadian-Hafshejani A, Khosravi B, Salehiniya H. Epidemiology and Inequality in the Incidence and Mortality of Nasopharynx Cancer in Asia. Osong Public Health Res Perspect. 2016;7(6):360-72.
5. Liu FC, Lin HT, Kuo CF, See LC, Chiou MJ, Yu HP. Epidemiology and survival outcome of breast cancer in a nationwide study. Oncotarget. 2017;8(10):16939-50.
6. Lin CH, Chuang PY, Chiang CJ, Lu YS, Cheng AL, Kuo WH, et al. Distinct clinicopathological features and prognosis of emerging young-female breast cancer in an East Asian country: a nationwide cancer registry-based study. Oncologist. 2014;19(6):583-91.
7. Johnson CJ, Graff R, Moran P, Cariou C, Bordeaux S. Breast cancer stage, surgery, and survival statistics for Idaho's National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program population, 2004-2012. Prev Chronic Dis. 2015;12:E36.
8. Dubey AK, Gupta U, Jain S. Breast cancer statistics and prediction methodology: a systematic review and analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2015;16(10):4237-45.
9. Du XL, Fox EE, Lai D. Competing causes of death for women with breast cancer and change over time from 1975 to 2003. Am J Clin Oncol. 2008;31(2):105-16.
10. DeSantis CE, Fedewa SA, Goding Sauer A, Kramer JL, Smith RA, Jemal A. Breast cancer statistics, 2015: Convergence of incidence rates between black and white women. CA Cancer J Clin. 2016;66(1):31-42.
11. Chuang SC, Wu GJ, Lu YS, Lin CH, Hsiung CA. Associations between Medical Conditions and Breast Cancer Risk in Asians: A Nationwide Population-Based Study in Taiwan. PLoS One. 2015;10(11):e0143410.
12. Choi MY, Lee SK, Lee JE, Park HS, Lim ST, Jung Y, et al. Characterization of Korean Male Breast Cancer Using an Online Nationwide Breast-Cancer Database: Matched-Pair Analysis of Patients With Female Breast Cancer. Medicine (Baltimore). 2016;95(16):e3299.
13. Chapman JA, Meng D, Shepherd L, Parulekar W, Ingle JN, Muss HB, et al. Competing causes of death from a randomized trial of extended adjuvant endocrine therapy for breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2008;100(4):252-60.
14. Glück S. The importance of distant metastasis and its impact on sur- vival rates on early-stage hormone receptor-positive breast cancer. Oncol Hematol Rev. 2007;00(01):22. doi: 10.17925/ohr.2007.00.01.22.
15. Devita VT, Lawrence TS, Rosenberg SA, DePinho R, Weinberg RD. Hell- man, and rosenberg’s cancer: Principles and practice of oncology. Cancer: Principles and Practice Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2008.
16. Kuru B, Bozgul M. The impact of axillary lymph nodes removed in staging of node-positive breast carcinoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2006;66:1328–34.
17. Khodabakhshi Koolaee A, Falsafinejad MR, Akbari ME. The Effect of Stress Management Model in Quality of Life in Breast Cancer Women. Iran J Cancer Prev. 2015;8(4):e3435. doi: 10.17795/ijcp-3435. [PubMed: 26478793].
18. Largillier R, Ferrero JM, Doyen J, Barriere J, Namer M, Mari V, et al. Prognostic factors in 1,038 women with metastatic breast cancer. Ann Oncol. 2008;19(12):2012–9. doi: 10.1093/annonc/mdn424. [PubMed: 18641006].) 18
19. Rosa Mendoza ES, Moreno E, Caguioa PB. Predictors of early dis- tant metastasis in women with breast cancer. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2013;139(4):645–52. doi: 10.1007/s00432-012-1367-z. [PubMed: 23283528].)19
20. Blanco G, Holli K, Heikkinen M, et al (1990). Prognostic factors in recurrent breast cancer: relationships to site of recurrence, disease-free interval, female sex steroid receptors, ploidy and histological malignancy grading. Br J Cancer, 62, 142.
21. Rosa Mendoza ES, Moreno E, Caguioa PB. Predictors of early distant metastasis in women with breast cancer. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2013;139(4):645-52.
22. Glück S. The importance of distant metastasis and its impact on sur- vival rates on early-stage hormone receptor-positive breast cancer. Oncol Hematol Rev. 2007;00(01):22. doi: 10.17925/ohr.2007.00.01.22.
23. Largillier R, Ferrero JM, Doyen J, Barriere J, Namer M, Mari V, et al. Prognostic factors in 1,038 women with metastatic breast cancer. Ann Oncol. 2008;19(12):2012–9. doi: 10.1093/annonc/mdn424. [PubMed: 18641006].
24. Popoola AO, Ibrahim NA, Omodele FO, Oludara MA, Adebowale SA, Ig- wilo AI. Pattern of spread of breast cancer among patients attending cancer unit of lagos state university teaching hospital. Asian J Med Sci. 2012;4(3):89–94.
25. Saphner T, Tormey DC, Gray R. Annual hazard rates of recurrence for breast cancer after primary therapy. J Clin Oncol. 1996;14(10):2738–46. doi: 10.1200/jco.19126.96.36.19938. [PubMed: 8874335].)
26. Rosa Mendoza ES, Moreno E, Caguioa PB. Predictors of early dis- tant metastasis in women with breast cancer. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2013;139(4):645–52. doi: 10.1007/s00432-012-1367-z. [PubMed: 23283528].)19
27. Goldhirsch A, Wood WC, Coates AS, Gelber RD, Thurlimann B, Senn HJ (2011) Strategies for subtypes–dealing with the diversity of breast cancer: highlights of the St. Gallen International Expert Consensus on the Primary Therapy of Early Breast Cancer 2011. Ann Oncol: Off J Eur Soc Med Oncol/ESMO 22(8):1736–1747
28. FinnRS,CrownJP,LangI,BoerK,BondarenkoIM,KulykSO,Ettl J, Patel R, Pinter T, Schmidt M et al (2015) The cyclin-dependent kinase 4/6 inhibitor palbociclib in combination with letrozole versus letrozole alone as first-line treatment of oestrogen receptor-positive, HER2-negative, advanced breast cancer (PALOMA-1/TRIO-18): a randomised phase 2 study. Lancet Oncol 16(1):25–35
29. Giordano SH, Temin S, Kirshner JJ, Chandarlapaty S, Crews JR, Davidson NE, Esteva FJ, Gonzalez-Angulo AM, Krop I, Levin- son J et al (2014) Systemic therapy for patients with advanced human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive breast cancer: American Society of Clinical Oncology clinical practice guide- line. J Clin Oncol 32(19):2078–2099
30. Akbari ME, Rohani- Rasaf M, Nafissi N, Akbari A, Shojaee L. Effecst of Patho- Biological Factors on the Survival of Recurrent Breast Cancer Cases. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2018;19(4):949-53.
Article Statistics :Views : 78 | Downloads : 8 : 2