The 5-Factor Modified Frailty Index as a Predictor of Post-operative Complications in Males Undergoing Mastectomy MFI-5 and Post-Mastectomy Complications in Males
Main Article Content
Mastectomy, Male breast cancer, health status index, morbidity, Complications.
Introduction: The modified five-item frailty index (mFI-5) is a valuable tool for preoperative risk stratification of patients. There is a paucity of literature regarding the use of the mFI-5 in regard to males undergoing mastectomy. The aim of this study was to determine if the mFI-5 can predict negative postoperative outcomes.
Methods: The 2005-2016 NSQIP database was queried to identify males aged 60 or older who underwent total mastectomy. Patient demographics, comorbidities, perioperative factors, and postoperative complications were collected. Patients were divided into cohorts based on whether their mFI-5 score was <2 or >2. Primary outcomes included prolonged postoperative length of stay (LOS), defined as greater than 75th percentile of the study population, and postoperative complications.
Results: A total of 1,251 patients were identified, of which 958 patients (76.6%) had mFI-5 scores <2 and 293 patients (23.4%) had mFI-5 scores >2. A significantly higher prevalence of medical complications occurred in the higher mFI group (6.1% vs. 1.6%, p<0.001). The mFI-5 was an independent risk factor for postoperative medical complications (OR 2.70, 95% CI, 1.28-5.68, p=0.009).
Conclusion: This is the first study to evaluate the utility of mFI in predicting postoperative complications in males undergoing total mastectomies. We demonstrate that mFI has utility and is applicable as a risk stratification tool for males undergoing mastectomy.
2. Seib CD, Rochefort H, Chomsky-Higgins K, Gosnell JE, Suh I, Shen WT, et al. Association of Patient Frailty With Increased Morbidity After Common Ambulatory General Surgery Operations. JAMA Surg. Feb 1 2018;153(2):160-168. doi: 10.1001/jamasurg.2017.4007.
3. Wang F, Shu X, Meszoely I, Pal T, Mayer IA, Yu Z, et al. Overall Mortality After Diagnosis of Breast Cancer in Men vs Women. JAMA Oncol. Nov 1 2019;5(11):1589-1596. doi: 10.1001/jamaoncol.2019.2803.
4. Nuzzi LC, Firriolo JM, Pike CM, Cerrato F, DiVasta AD, Labow BI. The Effect of Surgical Treatment for Gynecomastia on Quality of Life in Adolescents. The Journal of adolescent health : official publication of the Society for Adolescent Medicine. 2018;63 6:759-765.
5. Fricke A, Lehner GM, Stark GB, Penna V. Long-Term Follow-up of Recurrence and Patient Satisfaction After Surgical Treatment of Gynecomastia. Aesthetic Plast Surg. Jun 2017;41(3):491-498. doi: 10.1007/s00266-017-0827-x.
6. Cuccolo NG, Kang CO, Boskey ER, Ibrahim AMS, Blankensteijn LL, Taghinia A, et al. Mastectomy in Transgender and Cisgender Patients: A Comparative Analysis of Epidemiology and Postoperative Outcomes. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – Global Open. 2019;7(6):e2316. doi: 10.1097/gox.0000000000002316.
7. Ammari T, Sluiter EC, Gast K, Kuzon WM, Jr. Female-to-Male Gender-Affirming Chest Reconstruction Surgery. Aesthet Surg J. Jan 17 2019;39(2):150-163. doi: 10.1093/asj/sjy098.
8. Clark K. American Society of Plastic Surgeons releases first-ever facial, breast/chest and genital data for gender affirmation procedures. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Accessed May 17, 2022, Available from: https://www.plasticsurgery.org/news/articles/american-society-of-plastic-surgeons-releases-first-ever-facial-breast/chest-and-genital-data-for-gender-affirmation-procedures
9. Nolan IT, Dy GW, Levitt N. Considerations in Gender-Affirming Surgery: Demographic Trends. Urol Clin North Am. Nov 2019;46(4):459-465. doi: 10.1016/j.ucl.2019.07.004.
10. Poh AWY, Teo SP. Utility of Frailty Screening Tools in Older Surgical Patients. Ann Geriatr Med Res. 6 2020;24(2):75-82. doi: 10.4235/agmr.20.0023.
11. Abellan van Kan G, Rolland Y, Houles M, Gillette-Guyonnet S, Soto M, Vellas B. The assessment of frailty in older adults. Clin Geriatr Med. May 2010;26(2):275-86. doi: 10.1016/j.cger.2010.02.002.
12. Weaver DJ, Malik AT, Jain N, Yu E, Kim J, Khan SN. The Modified 5-Item Frailty Index: A Concise and Useful Tool for Assessing the Impact of Frailty on Postoperative Morbidity Following Elective Posterior Lumbar Fusions. World Neurosurgery. 2019/04/01/ 2019;124:e626-e632. doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2018.12.168.
13. Cuccolo NG, Sparenberg S, Ibrahim AMS, Crystal DT, Blankensteijn LL, Lin SJ. Does age or frailty have more predictive effect on outcomes following pedicled flap reconstruction? An analysis of 44,986 cases(†). J Plast Surg Hand Surg. Apr 2020;54(2):67-76. doi: 10.1080/2000656x.2019.1688166.
14. Song X, Mitnitski A, Rockwood K. Prevalence and 10-Year Outcomes of Frailty in Older Adults in Relation to Deficit Accumulation. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2010;58(4):681-687. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2010.02764.x.
15. Subramaniam S, Aalberg JJ, Soriano RP, Divino CM. New 5-Factor Modified Frailty Index Using American College of Surgeons NSQIP Data. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 2018;226(2)
16. Jain NS, Vuong LN, Hickman LB, Chin P, Hill EJR, Buck D 2nd, et al. Using the modified frailty index to predict negative outcomes in free-flap breast reconstruction: A National Surgical Quality Improvement Project-based study. Microsurgery. Nov 2021;41(8):709-715. doi: 10.1002/micr.30810.
17. Hermiz SJR, Lauzon S, Brown G, Herrera FA. Use of a 5-Item Modified Frailty Index for Risk Stratification in Patients Undergoing Breast Reconstruction. Ann Plast Surg. Jun 1 2021;86(6S Suppl 5):S615-s621. doi: 10.1097/sap.0000000000002765.
18. Magno-Pardon DA, Luo J, Carter GC, Agarwal JP, Kwok AC. An Analysis of the Modified Five-Item Frailty Index for Predicting Complications following Free Flap Breast Reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg. Jan 1 2022;149(1):41-47. doi: 10.1097/prs.0000000000008634.
19. Dammeyer K, Alfonso AR, Diep GK, Kantar RS, Berman ZP, Daar DA, et al. Predicting postoperative complications following mastectomy in the elderly: Evidence for the 5-factor frailty index. Breast J. Jun 2021;27(6):509-513. doi: 10.1111/tbj.14208.
20. Al-Taki M, Sukkarieh HG, Hoballah JJ, Jamali SF, Habbal M, Masrouha KZ, et al. Effect of Gender on Postoperative Morbidity and Mortality Outcomes: A Retrospective Cohort Study. Am Surg. Mar 1 2018;84(3):377-386.
21. Heyer JH, Cao NA, Amdur RL, Rao RR. Postoperative Complications Following Orthopedic Spine Surgery: Is There a Difference Between Men and Women? Int J Spine Surg. Apr 2019;13(2):125-131. doi: 10.14444/6017.
22. Mousapour P, Tasdighi E, Khalaj A, Mahdavi M, Valizadeh M, Taheri H, et al. Sex disparity in laparoscopic bariatric surgery outcomes: a matched-pair cohort analysis. Sci Rep. Jun 17 2021;11(1):12809. doi: 10.1038/s41598-021-92254-4.
23. Eck DL, Koonce SL, Goldberg RF, Bagaria S, Gibson T, Bowers SP, et al. Breast surgery outcomes as quality measures according to the NSQIP database. Ann Surg Oncol. Oct 2012;19(10):3212-7. doi: 10.1245/s10434-012-2529-6.
24. American Medical Association. Surgery: Integumentary system. CPT Assistant Newsletter; 2007;17(12):7.
25. American Medical Association. . Coding brief: Coding for breast surgery. CPT Assistant Newsletter; 2015;25(3):5, 11.
26. Lee J, Alfonso AR, Kantar RS, Diep GK, Berman ZP, Ramly EP, et al. Modified Frailty Index Predicts Postoperative Complications following Panniculectomy in the Elderly. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. Jul 2020;8(7):e2987. doi: 10.1097/gox.0000000000002987.
27. Chimukangara M, Helm MC, Frelich MJ, Bosler ME, Rein LE, Szabo A, et al. A 5-item frailty index based on NSQIP data correlates with outcomes following paraesophageal hernia repair. Surgical Endoscopy. 2017/06/01 2017;31(6):2509-2519. doi: 10.1007/s00464-016-5253-7.
28. Segal DN, Wilson JM, Staley C, Michael KW. The 5-Item Modified Frailty Index Is Predictive of 30-Day Postoperative Complications in Patients Undergoing Kyphoplasty Vertebral Augmentation. World Neurosurg. Aug 2018;116:e225-e231. doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2018.04.172.
29. Yagi M, Michikawa T, Hosogane N, Fujita N, Okada E, Suzuki S, et al. The 5-Item Modified Frailty Index Is Predictive of Severe Adverse Events in Patients Undergoing Surgery for Adult Spinal Deformity. Spine. 2019;44(18):E1083-E1091. doi: 10.1097/brs.0000000000003063.
30. Hackett NJ, De Oliveira GS, Jain UK, Kim JY. ASA class is a reliable independent predictor of medical complications and mortality following surgery. Int J Surg. Jun 2015;18:184-90. doi: 10.1016/j.ijsu.2015.04.079.
31. Stacey D, Légaré F, Lewis K, Barry MJ, Bennett CL, Eden KB, et al. Decision aids for people facing health treatment or screening decisions. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. Apr 12 2017;4(4):Cd001431. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD001431.pub5.
32. Deldar R, Sayyed AA, Towfighi P, Aminpour N, Sogunro O, Son JD, et al. Postmastectomy Reconstruction in Male Breast Cancer. The Breast Journal. 2022/03/29 2022;2022:5482261. doi: 10.1155/2022/5482261.
33. Friedman S, Floyd C, Chrysopoulo M. Men can have breast reconstruction after mastectomy. Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered, Inc. Accessed February 17, 2022, Available from: https://www.facingourrisk.org/blog/men-can-have-breast-reconstruction-after-mastectomy
34. Al-Kalla T, Komorowska-Timek E. Breast total male breast reconstruction with fat grafting. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. Nov 2014;2(11):e257. doi: 10.1097/gox.0000000000000221.
35. Bamba R, Krishnan NM, Youn R, Economides JM, Pittman TA. The Use of Low-Profile Silicone Breast Implants in Male Breast Reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg. Feb 2018;141(2):324e-325e. doi: 10.1097/prs.0000000000004089.
36. Giunta G, Rossi M, Toia F, Rinaldi G, Cordova A. Male breast cancer: Modified radical mastectomy or breast conservation surgery? A case report and review of the literature. Int J Surg Case Rep. 2017;30:89-92. doi: 10.1016/j.ijscr.2016.11.030.
37. Schaverien MV, Scott JR, Doughty JC. Male mastectomy: an oncoplastic solution to improve aesthetic appearance. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. Dec 2013;66(12):1777-9. doi: 10.1016/j.bjps.2013.04.039.
38. Spear SL, Bowen DG. Breast reconstruction in a male with a transverse rectus abdominis flap. Plast Reconstr Surg. Oct 1998;102(5):1615-7. doi: 10.1097/00006534-199810000-00043.
39. Alluri RK, Leland H, Heckmann N. Surgical research using national databases. Ann Transl Med. Oct 2016;4(20):393. doi: 10.21037/atm.2016.10.49.
Article Statistics :Views : 100 | Downloads : 56 : 17