Main Article Content
breast cancer, parotid gland, metastasis
Background: Breast cancer, which is the most common site-specific cancer in women, usually metastasizes to lung, liver, bone, and brain, although other sites can be involved less frequently. Parotid gland invasion by breast cancer, first reported in 1950, is extremely rare with very few reports worldwide.
Case presentation: A 54-year-old woman with stage IIIA breast cancer presented with a right parotid mass and signs of facial nerve palsy 3 months after treatment completion, which was finally diagnosed as metastatic involvement of parotid gland.
Conclusion: Breast cancer metastasis to parotid gland is extremely rare but can happen metachronously or synchronously even years after the primary disease. Therefore, this diagnosis should be kept in mind in any patient with a history of breast cancer presenting with a periauricular mass. Despite proposed treatments, including surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy, patients have a poor prognosis with a reported 5-year survival rate of 10%. However, palliative management should be recommended to all patients with parotid metastasis.
2. Mashoori N, Zand S, Nazemian R, Kaviani A. Effect of the surgery type, mastectomy vs. breast conserving surgery, on outcomes of patients with locally advanced breast cancer receiving neoadjuvant therapy. Archives of Breast Cancer. 2017;4(4):129-35.
3. Howlader N, Noone A, Krapcho M. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975–2011, National Cancer Institute. Bethesda, MD, http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2011/, Based on November 2013 SEER Data Submission, Posted to the SEER Web Site. 2014.
4. Cao XS, Cong BB, Yu ZY. Parotid gland metastasis from carcinoma of the breast detected by PET/CT: Case report and review. Medicine (Baltimore). 2018;97(21):e10616.
5. Alath P, Kapila K, Hussein S, Amanguno H, Hebbar HG, et al. Parotid gland metastasis of breast cancer diagnosed on fine needle aspiration cytology: case report and review of literature. Cytopathology. 2014;25(5):346-8.
6. Ando K, Masumoto N, Sakamoto M, Teraoka K, Suzuki T, et al. Parotid Gland Metastasis of Breast Cancer: Case Report and Review of the Literature. Breast Care (Basel). 2011;6(6):471-3.
7. Sellinger M, Neubauer K, William M, Hemmerlein B, Friedrich M, et al. Contralateral metastasis of parotid gland in advanced breast cancer with peripheral facial paralysis. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2011;284(6):1557-60.
8. Kmeid M, Kamar FG, Nasser S, Moukarzel N. Metachronous, Single Metastasis to the Parotid, from Primary Breast Cancer: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Case Rep Oncol Med. 2016;2016:3965283.
9. Bissett D, Bessell EM, Bradley PJ, Morgan DA, McKenzie CG. Parotid metastases from carcinoma of the breast. Clin Radiol. 1989;40(3):309-10.
10. Abrams HL, Spiro R, Goldstein N. Metastases in carcinoma; analysis of 1000 autopsied cases. Cancer. 1950;3(1):74-85.
11. Erra S, Costamagna D. Breast cancer metastatic to the submandibular gland. Case report. G Chir. 2011;32(4):194-8.
12. Cain AJ, Goodlad J, Denholm SW. Metachronous bilateral submandibular gland metastases from carcinoma of the breast. J Laryngol Otol. 2001;115(8):683-4.
13. Nuyens M, Schupbach J, Stauffer E, Zbaren P. Metastatic disease to the parotid gland. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2006;135(6):844-8.
14. Franzen AM, Gunzel T, Lieder A. Parotid gland metastases of distant primary tumours: A diagnostic challenge. Auris Nasus Larynx. 2016;43(2):187-91.
15. Zhang JZ, Gu M. Malignant phyllodes tumor of the breast metastatic to the parotid gland diagnosed by fine needle aspiration biopsy. A case report. Acta Cytol. 2003;47(2):253-8.
16. Rawet T, Jegannathen A, Soumian S. Parotid gland: an unusual site of breast cancer metastasis. BMJ Case Rep. 2017;2017.
17. Perez-Fidalgo JA, Chirivella I, Laforga J, Colio JM, Blanes MD, et al. Parotid gland metastasis of a breast cancer. Clin Transl Oncol. 2007;9(4):264-5.